The Confederation of African Football CAF has issued an ultimatum to government of Cameroon vis sa vis the hosting of the 2021 AFCON
The continent’s football body says Cameroon will have a maximum of six (6) moths to complete its infrastructure or risk losing its hosting rights again for the continental showpiece.
The statement issued yesterday November 4th 2019 comes after multiple delays in the execution of necessary infrastructure needed for the 2021 tournament.
The statement comes 19 months ahead of the tournament in June 2021 which Cameroon initially lost its hosting rights in 2019 to Egypt due to lack of infrastructure.
Major infrastructure like roads, stadia and hospitals required for the tournament which was suppose to have taken place in June 2019 are still to be completed around the country.
The 2021 rendezvous is the last chance for authorities in the country to get it right or risk losing the hosting rights to a waiting Algeria.
Like months medaling to June 2019 rendezvous, Cameroon government continues to insist that the country will be ready for the 2021 tournament
Many had blamed corruption and inertia for inability to host the tournament which was given to Egypt five months ago.
Diamond Platinum and Eto’o to build a sport academy in Tanzania
Tanzania celebrated musician Nasib Abdul a.k.a Diamond Platnumz has said that he is in talks with International football star, Cameroonian footballer Samuel Eto’o to build a football academy in Tanzania.
According to the report by Daily News the megastar recently performed at the CAF awards gala that got Fifa boss Gianni Infatino on the dance floor among football stars.
Diamond said he has been in talks with Eto’o for a long time now, interested in establishing a lucrative football club since the east African nation has potential football players.
Diamond is quoted to say “In the past, I though that venturing in sports business was not profitable but now I see that it is beneficial.. In the near future? I will have my own team which already is trading in the Mainland Premier League because I do not want to start from the scratch.”
The musician didn’t not give a time frame to the project but hwta is clear is that he will be buying an existing club or established player.
Never-ready Cameroon on edge as shifting Ahmad comes visiting
CAF’s Ahmad is Leading a huge delegation to Cameroon
The President of CAF, Ahmad is leading a huge delegation of experts and football icons including son of the soil Samuel Eto’o Fils to Cameroon for a three days official inspection visit
The visit by the CAF boss is related to the country’s hosting of CHAN 2020 and CAN 2021.
The laters future is in doubt following a change of date from June to January 2021 to avoid the raining seasons in the west AFRICAN nation
According to a communique from sports minister, an important decision will be made after the visit
The visit of the CAF boss and a group of experts has sparked fears that the country might lose the AFCON 2021 hosting rights again as construction works are still ongoing in some hosting cities despite being just 12 months away from the tournament.
Cameroon lost the AFCON 2019 hosting rights to Egypt at the 11th hour after the continents footbal body decided the country was not ready to host the tournament. At the time, the CAF boss even said the country might not be ready even in the next five years.
The decision came barely weeks after Ahmad had flown to Cameroon in a private jet with Eto’o ahead of October 2018 Presidential polls to assure Cameroonians that AFCON 2019 was theirs to lose.
Cameroon however avoided being punished by CAF for failing to host the tournament as the internal rules of the organization states, they were rather handed the 2021 hosting rights which was originally given to Ivory Coast to the shagrin of the Drogba’s homeland.
Authorities in Yaounde and many other Cameroonians will be hoping this visit by CAF delegation brings good tidings and ensures the country host the two biggest football tournaments in the continent.
The biennial showpiece has been the center piece of President Biya’s legacy.
Never-ready Cameroon risk losing AFCON…again as CAF considers change of date
The President of the Confederation of AFRICAN Football CAF says the continent’s football body is considering changing the date of the tournament.
The tournament which Ahmad moved from January to June recently might be be brought back to January or February according to goal.com
The AFCON boss says the climatic condition in Cameroon might not Favour the tournament in June 2021 as was the case in Egypt 2019.
His critics however say the President is suffering from his own mistakes and administrative arrogance when he initially moved the tournament to June despite massive calls for him not to do so.
Many also say the idea about climatic condition in Cameroon is not the real season for the move as FIFA had recently moved its club world cup date to June, Making it all but impossible for CAF to stage its tournaments during the same period.
But amidst the debate over when the tournament will be staged, many back home are worried about the country’s readiness for the biennial football jamboree
Poor organization, massive corruption and endemic inertia caused Cameroon to lose the 2019 AFCON hosting rights to Egypt due to the former’s lack of readiness
The country of Samuel Eto’o was then given the chance to host AFCON 2021, avoiding financial punishment and suspension after the football legend intervened at the brightest level, but many now worry any change of date risk putting the country’s hopes of hosting in peril
Even though most of the stadia have been built and Peace is gradually returning to major cities in North West and South West regions, a lot is still to be done
Lack of road infrastructure, appropriate hospitals in hosting cities and political uncertainties in South West region means any change of date risk posing serious problems to authorities in Yaounde.
It remains to be seen how Yaounde will react to any change of date as the chances of hosting the 2021 now looks debatable once again.
- Limbe chiefs vomit embattled Motanga amidst corruption scandal 3 months ago
- Cameroon teachers under attack: Why is everyone beating up teachers? 3 months ago
- Ghastly motor accident in Yaounde claims senator’s entire family 3 months ago
- Why Kondengui inmates almost killed “General” Nambere 3 months ago
- Beyond party politics:How Ngala Gerard became ‘lord’ in Nkambe 3 months ago
- France confirms first three cases of coronavirus in Europe January 24, 2020France confirmed on Friday its first three cases of the Wuhan coronavirus, with two patients being hospitalised in Paris and the other in the southwestern city of Bordeaux.
- China heads into Lunar New Year on shutdown as virus spreads to Europe January 24, 2020A new coronavirus that has killed 26 people in China was confirmed in Europe for the first time on Friday as it spreads despite Chinese attempts to quarantine the city at the heart of the outbreak.
- China's Hubei province confirms 15 more deaths due to coronavirus January 24, 2020China reported 15 more deaths and 180 new cases of coronavirus, according to a statement from the health department of Hubei province, as the outbreak escalates.
- FAA tells U.S. airlines it could approve MAX return to service before mid-year -sources January 24, 2020Federal Aviation Administrator Steve Dickson called senior U.S. airline officials on Friday and told them the agency could approve the grounded Boeing 737 MAX's return to service before mid-year - a faster time frame than the planemaker suggested this week, people briefed on the calls said.
- Financier doubts add to Boeing's MAX headaches January 24, 2020To restore faith in the 737 MAX, Boeing needs to prove its flagship jet is not just airworthy but also a safe investment.
- Actress Rosie Perez backs up Sciorra account in Weinstein rape trial January 24, 2020Actress Rosie Perez took the stand in the rape trial of Harvey Weinstein on Friday to bolster the account of friend and fellow actress Annabella Sciorra, who said she was raped by the former Hollywood producer in the early 1990s.
Human Interest19 hours ago
Ghastly motor accident in Yaounde claims senator’s entire family
Celeb News6 days ago
Radio Animation wonder Njeck Sylvanus bags home another major award
Entertainment7 days ago
Cameroonian music industry: A story of lost identity in a competitive global marketplace
Politics3 days ago
Beyond party politics:How Ngala Gerard became ‘lord’ in Nkambe
Politics3 days ago
Embattled Motanga summoned by Special criminal court for embezzlement charges
Cameroon1 day ago
Why Kondengui inmates almost killed “General” Nambere
Cameroon14 hours ago
Cameroon teachers under attack: Why is everyone beating up teachers?
Cameroon10 hours ago
Limbe chiefs vomit embattled Motanga amidst corruption scandal